Random International's immersive environment entitled "Rain Room" has caused quite a stir in New York City. The interactive installation (on view at MoMA) consists of a room-sized grid of falling water that pauses whenever a human body is detected. Hopeful visitors wait for hours in lines stretched around the block. I awoke this morning at 6:00 and took my place in line at 6:45. The doors opened at 8:00 for museum members, and I made it in at 9:30. Not too bad given reported wait times of up to 8 hours.
Only 10 people can experience the Rain Room at a time and once in the room visitors are encouraged to stay no more than 10 minutes. A MoMA employee reported that four marriage proposals had taken place in the Rain Room and one visitor was rushed to the hospital after a handstand attempt went terribly wrong. Most visitors spent their 10 minutes posing for pictures with their friends or significant others; I was no exception.
One couple decided to dance. They were having the time of their lives.
They attempted the signature lift from "Dirty Dancing" but didn't quite stick it. Still it was fun to see art taking place within art.
Despite the advanced technology involved in the work, everyone seemed to get a little bit wet. Perhaps a sign that technology cannot control nature or mirror perfectly the actions of humanity?
As I exited Rain Room those behind me in line asked, "Was it worth it?" For me, the answer is a resounding YES, but you know how much I love interactive art. And I can't think of a more Art Girl way to beat the New York City heat.
For a humorous take on Rain Room, check out this Gallerist NY blog post.
MoMA encourages visitors to take photographs (finally!) and post them on Instagram. You can view a live stream on the MoMA/PS1 website (click here).






Awesome!!!
ReplyDelete