Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Detroit Wrap Up

I had a great time in Detroit. In five action-packed days I experienced downtown, the suburb of Birmingham, the Cranbrook campus, Motown, looked across the Detroit River at Canada, floated on a lake, and ate great middle eastern food.  I saw Diego Rivera Murals, the urban creativity of Heidelberg, 3 deer, 2 groundhogs, 4 owls and a swarm of fireflies.  I met creative and interesting people who are opening shops, galleries and restaurants all throughout Detroit and environs.  There's a lot of great stuff in Detroit. I encourage you to go check it out for yourself.


Motown was born in this house, Hitsville USA.  Singing "My Girl" in Studio A was definitely a highlight of my trip to the Motor City.     (no photos inside, please)


The new Mike Kelly installation at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Detroit (MOCAD)

The hostess with the mostess, Christine Schefman of David Klein Gallery

Walnut Lake, a good place to float around on a raft on a hot day.



If you go to Detroit, check out 41 things to do in Detroit before you die:
http://www.detroitmoxie.com/home/2009/10/7/40-things-to-do-in-detroit-before-youre-dead.html

And just in case you need some extra convincing of how cool Detroit is, take it from Mark Wahlberg. He knows Detroit, and Birmingham!
http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/mark-wahlberg-is-pulling-for-detroit/n39433/

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures tell more than numerous paragraphs of text. I always enjoy them.

    As for the 41 things to do in Detroit, I'll have to hurry b/c at 70 yrs of age, I'll have to cram.

    ReplyDelete