Monday, July 16, 2012

Art in NYC - I'm Seeing a Pattern

How does an Art Girl from California survive the New York City summertime heat and humidity? Visit a couple of the big apple's wonderful museums, of course!  After viewing exhibitions of Edouard Vuillard and Kehinde Wiley at the Jewish Museum, stopping by the 5th Avenue Louis Vuitton store to see its Yayoi Kusama display, and strolling through MoMA's Alighiero Boetti exhibition, I noticed a pattern forming: patterns.  From Vullard's references to his mother's dressmaking workshop filled with wallpaper samples and fabrics, to Kusama's partnership with Louis Vuitton, to Wiley's portraits of young, urban Israeli men set against backgrounds based on Jewish ceremonial art, to Boetti's colorful embroidered wall and floor compositions, decorative patterns abound!

Vuillard's "Misia and Vallotton at Villeneuve" 1899


















If only I had $3,780 for that bag...


















Wiley's "Alios Itzhak" 2011
Boetti installation





Detail of a Boetti tapestry, incorporating Italian and Arabic text



No comments:

Post a Comment